Driving to Sun Peaks
Enjoy the scenic drive to Sun Peaks through BC's mountain passes and valleys. There are a few driving routes to choose from depending on where you are travelling from. Sun Peaks is just a 45-minute drive northeast of Kamloops, BC.
- Driving routes to Sun Peaks from Metro Vancouver and the Lower Mainland are currently impacted by road closures and travel restrictions. Alternate routes are available through the USA.
- Drive from Calgary via the Trans-Canada Highway 1.
- Drive from Osoyoos, Penticton, Kelowna, and Vernon via Highway 97 or Highway 97C and Highway 5 north from Merritt.
- Drive from Northern BC via Highway 5 or Highway 97.
Driving From Vancouver
If you're driving from the Vancouver area some roads may be closed or have travel restrictions due to recent flooding. Before hitting the road check Drive BC for the latest road conditions and reports. The following driving routes currently have closures or restrictions on non-essential travel:
- Highway 3 from Hope to Princeton
- Highway 7 from Mission to Hope
- Highway 99 from Pemberton to Lillooet
- The Coquihalla Highway 5 and Trans-Canada Highway 1 from Hope to Sun Peaks are currently closed.
Alternate routes to Sun Peaks are available via the USA through Washington state and into Canada via Highway 97.
DRIVING from Seattle
Driving routes from Seattle to Sun Peaks are currently impacted by BC road closures and highway travel restrictions. Here are two alternative driving routes from Seattle to Sun Peaks:
- Head east via Highway I-90 or east via Highway US-2, then north on Highway 97 to the Osoyoos, BC border crossing. Continue north on Highway 97 to Peachland, then head west on Highway 97C to connect to Highway 5 at Merritt and head north through Kamloops then turn east on Tod Mountain Road to Sun Peaks.
- Head east via Highway I-90 or east via Highway US-2, then north on Highway 97 to the Osoyoos, BC border crossing. Continue north on Highway 97 to the Trans-Canada Highway 1, then head west to Kamloops to connect to Highway 5 north and then turn east on Tod Mountain Road to Sun Peaks.
Driving Times & Distances to Sun Peaks
*Please note driving times and distances with an asterisk below are currently impacted by travel restrictions and road closures. Check Drive BC for the latest updates.
|Kamloops, BC||45 minutes||50km / 31 miles|
|*Vancouver, BC||4.25 hours||407km / 235 miles|
|*Whistler, BC||4.5 hours||355 km / 221 miles|
|*Hope, BC||2.5 hours||260 km / 162 miles|
|Kelowna, BC||2.75 hours||246km / 153 miles|
|Jasper, AB||5 hours||449km / 279 miles|
|Prince George, BC||6 hours||515km / 320 miles|
|Banff, AB||6 hours||557km / 346 miles|
|Calgary, AB||8 hours||675km / 421 miles|
|Edmonton, AB||9 hours||813km / 505 miles|
|*Seattle, WA||5.5 hours||518km / 322 miles|
British Columbia Road Reports
Please check the road conditions before leaving home by visiting:
United States and Canada Border Crossing
For information on crossing the border please visit: