Enjoy 3 Recipes from Sun Peaks
Get your chef hats out - it's cookin' time! We know that many of you can't be here right now, so we wanted to bring a little bit of Sun Peaks into your kitchens at home. Here are three recipes from three different restaurants that we hope you enjoy.
Known for using fresh and local ingredients, Vertical Café is located in the heart of Sun Peaks' village. We love their vegan treats, homemade soups and delicious sandwiches. Whip up these delicious vegan brownies for the perfect stay-at-home treat.
- 28 ounces of dates
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 3/4 cup almonds (sliced)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
In a food processor chop dates until fairly fine. Place dates in bowl and combine with coconut oil, hemp hearts, almonds and cocoa powder. Line a 9 x 9 cake pan with parchment paper and pour mix into pan. Spread evenly.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup agave syrup or 1/4 cup of powdered erythritol.
Warm icing in a pot on stove until everything is melted together. Pour on top of the base and spread evenly. Place in freezer for one hour until icing is solid.
Pull out of freezer and cut in slices.
Mantles Restaurant & Lounge
Mantles Restaurant is the place for sophisticated dining in Sun Peaks. Bring the luxury home to your kitchen with their delicious Poke Bowl recipe. Plus, you can make this dish your own with your choice of protein and toppings.
- 1 shallot sliced
- 50g green onion, chopped
- 50ml soy sauce
- 5ml sesame oil
- 5ml sambal oelek sauce (chili garlic sauce)
- 15g toasted sesame seeds
- Add together the shallots, green onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, sambal oelek sauce, and sesame seeds.
- Gently toss with your protein (see below for options). Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate.
Build Your Bowl:
- Protein options: Ahi tuna, salmon, or cooked shrimp.
- Toppings: Add mushrooms, tomatoes, avocado and serve with sushi rice or taro chips.
- Garnish: Pickled ginger, wakame salad and/or tobiko.
morrisey's public house
Comfort food is the name of the game at Morrisey's Public House and these Beef Tacos are the perfect addition to a cozy evening at home. Top it all off with a yummy cocktail for the ultimate taste of Sun Peaks.
Beef Tacos & Purple Rain Patio Sipper
*Please note that this recipe makes 30 tacos. We recommend adjusting recipe quantities accordingly.
For the guacamole:
- 250g avocado, diced
- 25g coriander
- 5g Thai bird chilli
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 50g red onion, peeled
- 2 limes, juice only
- pinch fine salt
Make the guacamole by blending all the ingredients in a mini food processor until smooth. Adjust the seasoning to your taste, using additional salt or lime juice. Set aside.
For the Pico de Gallo:
- 200g tomatoes, diced
- 50g red onion, finely diced
- 25g coriander, finely chopped
- pinch fine salt
- ½ lime, juice only
For the Pico de Gallo, simply combine the diced tomato and red onion, then fold in the freshly chopped coriander. Season with salt and the juice from half a lime. Set aside.
To cook and assemble:
- 2.5 lbs of Bistro tender (also called a shoulder tender or beef shoulder tender petite roast)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 30 small masa (corn) tacos
- Reserved guacamole
- 1.5 cups iceberg lettuce, finely sliced
- Reserved Pico de Gallo
- 1.5 limes, cut into wedges
- Small bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 3-4 watermelon radishes, sliced
- Sour cream
Heat a BBQ to high and season the steaks with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grill for 10-15 minutes, flipping the steaks every 3-4 minutes until an internal temperature of 52°C is reached. Remove the steaks from the grill and set aside to rest for few minutes before slicing against the grain.
While the steaks are resting, place the masa tacos on the grill and toast each side until they begin to puff up with steam. Remove the tacos from the heat and stack them up in a tea towel to prevent drying out.
Serve sliced beef tender with grilled tacos, shredded lettuce, guacamole, sour cream and Pico de Gallo on the side. Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro.
Cocktail – Purple Rain:
- 2oz Empress 1908 Gin
- 3oz Lemonade
Add lemonade to a glass with ice. Layer Empress 1908 Gin on top. Garnish with a lemon wheel and an edible flower.