Last updated July 26, 2023
THE SUN PEAKS RESORT COMMITMENT TO PRIVACY
SCOPE OF POLICY
Because PIPA does not impose any requirements on Sun Peaks regarding the collection, use, or disclosure of business contact information, or certain publicly available information, this Policy does not apply.
WHAT INFORMATION DOES SUN PEAKS COLLECT?
As part of its business activities, Sun Peaks may collect and process personal data you provide. Personal data is any information that may identify you as an individual. Depending on the nature of your interaction with us, we may collect the following types of data:
- your age, marital status, family status, citizenship, language preferences, identification data, and birth date;
- your home address, home telephone number, cellular (mobile) phone number, email address, vehicle license plate number;
- information about products and services purchased by you;
- information about your purchases of Sun Peaks real estate;
- financial information about you, including credit and debit card numbers or banking information;
- video and photographic surveillance imagery as it relates to guest and employee safety, and loss prevention;
- physical abilities and attributes (e.g., age, height, weight, shoe size, experience level) as they relate to the various activities which you may undertake, or to equipment purchases and rentals (e.g., skiing, snowboarding, hiking, mountain biking, swimming, tennis, golf, fitness facilities, etc.);
- medical information and history as it relates to your fitness and ability to use services or undertake various activities;
- family information for Sports School and childminding services, including emergency contact information;
- membership or loyalty program affiliation or data;
- information provided by you to participate in surveys or enter contests.
Cookies are small and simple text files that are stored by your computer or mobile device, making it easier for you to navigate our website. They allow us to tailor the information and content to your preferences and personalize your experience. We may collect your IP address, your device ID, as well as information about your operating system, browser type, the address of a referring site and your site usage.
We generally use the following types of cookies on www.sunpeaksresort.com and store.sunpeaksresort.com:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies, which are required for the website to run and cannot be switched off. You can set your browser to block these cookies, but this may affect the functionality of our website.
- Google Analytics and Performance Cookies, which allow us to measure traffic data on our website and see traffic sources. We use this data to adapt content, measure advertising campaign efficiency, and enhance the overall user experience.
- Marketing Cookies, which are set by our marketing and advertising partners, and used by them to understand your interests and later show you relevant ads.
- Functionality Cookies, which enable our website to offer additional functions and personal settings.
If you do not want to receive cookies on your computer or mobile device, you can adjust the settings of your web browser to fully block use. In this case, functionality on our website may be deactivated, such as the ability to make an online purchase or use our chat function.
Third parties, such as analytics providers, may place cookies on your computer when you visit www.sunpeaksresort.com or store.sunpeaksresort.com. Third-party cookies enable features or functionality to be provided on or through the website or service you are using (e.g., interactive content). These cookies belong to and are managed by other parties.
You can opt out of Google Analytics by visiting their opt-out page and installing an add-on for your web browser.
Links To Third-Party Websites
SUN PEAKS RESPONSIBILITY
Sun Peaks is accountable and responsible for protecting your personal information in its possession or custody and will also take steps to require a comparable level of protection when the information is being processed or managed by a third party on behalf of Sun Peaks.
Sun Peaks has designated a Privacy Officer to administer compliance with this Policy (see below).
PURPOSES FOR COLLECTING AND USING PERSONAL INFORMATION
Most of your personal information will be collected directly from you (e.g., through reservations, ticket purchases, equipment rentals, etc.). Some of your information may be collected from publicly available sources, depending on the relationship Sun Peaks has with you.
Sun Peaks may collect, use, and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- operating, maintaining, and promoting Sun Peaks;
- authenticating your identity;
- providing products and services, such as accommodation reservations, event planning and facilitation, outdoor recreation and safety services, facilities, equipment, dining, childminding, and other hospitality services;
- providing instruction related to various recreational activities;
- organizing, promoting, and hosting special events such as races, contests, and competitions;
- understanding your interests and needs regarding Sun Peaks real estate sales and property management;
- tracking use of Sun Peaks services and facilities;
- presenting offers and marketing communications tailored to your preferences;
- your participation in surveys, contests, or promotions;
- managing your participation in loyalty programs (where you choose to participate);
- maintaining accurate customer records;
- processing and collecting payments and debts owed to Sun Peaks;
- establishing and maintaining personalized communications with customers, contractors and consultants relating to various Sun Peaks products and services;
- responding to inquiries, feedback and resolving any complaints;
- providing secure accommodations and facilities (e.g., controlled entry key cards);
- protecting Sun Peaks, you and others from fraud and error;
- to respond to requests from legal and regulatory authorities to assert or protect the legal rights of Sun Peaks or to defend our legal interests;
- complying with legal requirements and acting pursuant to legal authorizations.
If Sun Peaks wants to use your personal information for a new purpose, it will obtain your consent to do so unless the new use is otherwise authorized or required by law.
How Is Your Personal Information Used?
When you contact us for customer service or subscribe to our newsletter, we may collect your name, email address, phone number, communication preferences, and the content of your message. We use this information to communicate with you or to deliver relevant and tailored newsletters.
When you create an account on our website, we may request and collect your name, email, phone number, address, username, and password so we can maintain your account and our internal database. The information collected and maintained in the database includes: your name, email address, password, phone number, mailing address, your purchase history, and products. Sun Peaks will never share your data with anyone.
When you make a purchase online, we may collect personal information from you so we can complete the transaction, create your account, or process any refunds. Such information may include your name, date of birth, billing address, email, phone number, as well as payment information.
Sun Peaks will not disclose your personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with your consent or as required or authorized by law.
Sun Peaks discloses aggregate non-identifiable information (e.g., survey data, resort statistics and hotel statistics) to trusted third parties (e.g., Destination British Columbia or Tourism Sun Peaks) for industry analysis and promotional purposes.
Sun Peaks enters into contractual relationships with other resorts so our customers can access skiing, snowboarding, and other services at those resorts. To facilitate those services we may share your name and season pass number with the other resort company so they can validate your pass, identity and provide the service. We share that information pursuant to written contracts with the partner resorts and limit the information to what is needed for the specific purpose.
At times Sun Peaks may co-sponsor an event with a business partner or partners. We may disclose information to those business partners to help us market the event and associated products and services. Any information shared is pursuant to written contracts and limited to the specific purpose, including providing aggregate non-identifiable data when possible.
Sun Peaks will never sell your personal information to third parties.
By visiting www.sunpeaksresort.com or store.sunpeaksresort.com, you agree to the collection, storage, use, and disclosure of your personal information as defined in this Policy. Should you not consent to the collection of your personal information, you should not visit this site or provide any information when making a purchase at any sales location.
Sun Peaks will obtain your consent to collect, use or disclose personal information, except where Sun Peaks is authorized or required by law to do so without your consent. For example, Sun Peaks may collect, use, or disclose personal information without your knowledge or consent if the information is publicly available, Sun Peaks is obtaining legal advice, or Sun Peaks reasonably expects that obtaining consent would compromise an investigation or proceeding. Other exceptions may also apply, according to applicable law.
Your consent can be given expressly, impliedly, or through an authorized representative such as a lawyer, agent, or broker. It can also be given verbally, in writing, electronically, and through inaction (e.g., if Sun Peaks notifies you through this Policy that it intends to collect, use, or disclose your personal information for a specific purpose and you do not object).
You may withdraw your consent at any time (subject to certain legal and contractual restrictions) if you give Sun Peaks reasonable notice in writing. After Sun Peaks receives such notice, it will inform you of the likely consequences of withdrawing consent, which may include its inability to provide certain services to you or to continue its relationship with you.
If you do not wish to receive promotional or marketing material from Sun Peaks, you may opt-out by clicking on ‘Unsubscribe’ at the bottom of any email you receive and following the instructions.
LIMITS ON THE COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Sun Peaks will not collect personal information indiscriminately and will limit its collection of your personal information to what is reasonably necessary for the purposes which have been described. Sun Peaks may also collect information as authorized or required by law.
LIMITS FOR USING, DISCLOSING AND RETAINING PERSONAL INFORMATION
Sun Peaks will only use and disclose your personal information for the purposes which are listed in this Policy or to which you have otherwise consented, or as authorized or required by law.
Sun Peaks will keep personal information used to make a decision affecting you for at least one year after using it to make the decision.
We will retain your personal information for the length of time needed to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Policy. Sun Peaks will securely destroy, erase, or make anonymous any documents or other records containing personal information as soon as it is reasonable to assume that: (a) the original purpose is no longer being served by retention of the information, and (b) retention is no longer necessary for legal or business purposes.
Sun Peaks will take due care when destroying personal information to prevent unauthorized access to such information.
Sun Peaks will make a reasonable effort to ensure that personal information it is using or disclosing is accurate and complete. In most cases, Sun Peaks will rely on you to ensure that information is current, complete, and accurate. The Sun Peaks Personal Information Request form is found at www.sunpeaksresort.com or directly from the Sun Peaks Privacy Officer.
If you demonstrate the inaccuracy or incompleteness of personal information, Sun Peaks will amend the information as required. If possible and appropriate, Sun Peaks will send the amended information to third parties to whom such information has been previously disclosed.
SAFEGUARDING PERSONAL INFORMATION
Sun Peaks has implemented physical, technological, and organizational safeguards, and reasonable security measures designed to protect against unauthorized access, collection, misuse, copying, modification, loss, or disclosure of the personal information under our control. We also take measures to protect the personal information we disclose to third parties, for example by entering into contractual agreements stipulating the confidentiality of the information and the purposes for which it is to be used.
No security measures are impenetrable. You can help us by protecting and keeping your passwords safe at all times, and by not using the same password for different websites or applications. You can also protect yourself by notifying Sun Peaks if you suspect your credit card, pass product, username, or password is lost, stolen, or used without permission.
Note that confidentiality and security may not be assured when information is transmitted through email or wireless communication. If you provide us with your email address, text messaging information, or similar electronic means of communication, we will assume that you are comfortable with us using such communication mechanisms unless you expressly notify us otherwise.
Sun Peaks strives to ensure that any personal data we retain and use is as accurate, complete, and up to date as necessary to provide our services.
You have a right to access your personal information held by Sun Peaks by making a Personal Information Request at www.sunpeaksresort.com or directly to the Sun Peaks Privacy Officer.
Upon written request and authentication of your identity, Sun Peaks will respond with the requested personal information within 30 days or provide written notice when additional time is required to fulfill the request. Sun Peaks will inform you in advance of the cost to provide your information.
These are your rights with respect to the personal information we collect and use about you:
- Access. You have the right to access and obtain a copy of any of your personal data that we collect and use about you. You also have the right to know the types of personal data we are collecting about you.
- Rectification. You may request that we correct any inaccurate, outdated, or incomplete data we may have about you. Information you previously provided to Sun Peaks may be updated online at www.sunpeaksresort.com, store.sunpeaksresort.com or by calling Guest Services.
- Opt-out. You may withdraw your consent at any time to the collection, use, disclosure, or any other form of processing of your personal information by Sun Peaks. You may also withdraw your consent to receive our email marketing communication at any time by clicking on “Unsubscribe” at the bottom of any email you receive.
- Deletion. You may request information about how long we keep your personal data. If required by law we will grant a request to delete information. In many situations, we must keep your personal data to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, or for other business purposes.
- Portability. You have the right to receive all your personal data which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format, and also to require us to transmit your data to another entity where this is technically feasible.
- Objection to direct marketing. You have the right to object to our use of your personal data for direct marketing purposes and interest-based purposes.
In some situations, Sun Peaks may not be able to provide you with access to certain personal information. This may be the case where, for example, disclosure would reveal personal information about another individual, the personal information is protected by solicitor/client privilege, the information was collected for the purpose of an investigation or where disclosure of the information would reveal confidential commercial information that, if disclosed, could harm the resort’s competitive position. Sun Peaks may also be prevented by law from providing access to certain personal information.
Where an access request is refused in whole or in part, Sun Peaks will notify you in writing, giving the reason for refusal and outlining further steps available to you.
The Sun Peaks complaint procedure is found at www.sunpeaksresort.com/complaints or directly from the Sun Peaks Privacy Officer.
Any inquiries or questions regarding this Policy or the compliance of Sun Peaks with privacy legislation should be directed in writing to the Sun Peaks Privacy Officer as follows:
Sun Peaks Resort LLP
Attention: Privacy Officer
1280 Alpine Road
Sun Peaks, British Columbia, V0E 5N0
or by electronic mail to: email@example.com
If you still have concerns about the protection of your personal information at Sun Peaks, you have the right to file a complaint with the privacy or data protection authority of your province, territory, state, or country.