Back to listing

Member Related Questions

What is the purpose of a resort association?

The Mountain Resort Associations Act, under which Tourism Sun Peaks is governed, states “The purposes of an association are to promote, facilitate and encourage the development, maintenance and operation of a mountain resort area.” To accomplish this, Tourism Sun Peaks collects membership assessments fees to advertise and market the resort on behalf of its members.

Am I obliged to be a member of Tourism Sun Peaks?

Yes. All owners within the recreational area of Sun Peaks are mandatory members of Tourism Sun Peaks. Sun Peaks Mountain Resort Association (dba Tourism Sun Peaks) is listed on title and membership is mandatory. Under the Mountain Resort Association Act Tourism Sun Peaks has the right to file a certificate of levy against the property until such time as the fees are paid in full.

I am in the process of having my home/condo built. At what point must I begin paying my fees?

Once a property is substantially complete and free from any health and safety issues, assessments will begin.

I do not make my unit available for nightly rentals yet I am being charged business fees, why?

Some properties have a limited owner use rental covenant registered on title. These properties are subject to both common and business fees regardless if the unit is made available for nightly rentals or not. The only exception to this rule is if the registered owner(s) make the unit their principle residence. In that case a notarized statutory declaration form is required to be filed with Tourism Sun Peaks. These properties currently include Altitude, Crystal Forest, Echo Landing, Fireside Lodge, Kookaburra Lodge, Powder Heights, Snow Creek Village, Stone's Throw, Settlers Crossing, Trapper's Landing, Village Walk and Woodhaven.

When are my assessments due by?

Quarterly assessments are due within 30 days of the invoice date.

I am selling my unit, what is the process I should follow?

Notification must be coordinated through your lawyers. Any pro-rated payments will be adjusted on your closing documentation. To access detailed information for your property sale click here.

What are the options to pay my assessment fees?

Membership fees can be paid by: cheque, credit card or online. Pre-authorized debits and credit card payments are also available. We are listed as Sun Peaks Mountain Resort Association through most banks. To set up pre-authorized payment of your account, download a form here.

How are my assessments calculated?

Assessments are based on the number of sleeping rooms, the use of the unit and whether the property has a rental covenant. Each sleeping room is assessed at two assessment units. Your quarterly assessments will be calculated for you when you register as a member.

I do not rent out my unit or have a business. Why am I subject to these fees and what is the benefit to me?

Property values in the past ten years have substantially increased due in a large part to the advertising and promotional efforts of Tourism Sun Peaks.

I own a commercial property and do not have any sleeping rooms. How are my assessments calculated?

Commercial properties are divided into two types. 1) Office and restaurant space; and 2) All other commercial space. Assessments are based on the public commercial square meters of a property and divided by 15 for office and restaurant space and by 7.5 for all other commercial space. Public commercial square meters includes all areas that customers have access to excluding washroom corridors and stairwells.

Accommodation referrals

Property registration requirements:

  • Tourism Sun Peaks account in good standing.
  • Registered as a nightly rental property with Tourism Sun Peaks. 
  • Business license for nightly rentals with the Sun Peaks Mountain Resort Municipality.
  • Registered with the BC Government for PST & MRDT.