Protecting fragile soils and vegetation on the mountains is critical to maintaining the local environment. Sun Peaks Resort has instituted a number of practices to minimize the impact of our operations.
Beetle Affected Logging - recycle
The resort has been selectively logging beetle affected timber since 1995. Impacted stands of forest are considered when determining where to cut new ski, snowboard, and bike trails. The removal of beetle impacted trees is also an important part of the Sun Peaks wildfire mitigation program.
Three beetle species are currently found in local forests. Please click on the following links to learn more:
Controlled On-Mountain Vehicle Traffic - reduce
Sun Peaks grooming and mowing equipment is active on the mountain throughout the year. Official resort vehicles, contractors, and event organizers are permitted on designated roadways. Recreational off-road vehicles are not permitted within the Controlled Recreation Area (CRA).
Wherever possible, bioengineering methods like the planting of willows and the laying of hay and matting are used to stabilize slopes. In the village, erosion and sediment control measures are mandatory on all construction sites.
Fertilizers, Pesticides and Soil Amendments - reduce
All fertilizer and pesticide usage falls under Integrated Pest Management guidelines (User License # 13702). This is a provincial program which aims to reduce pesticide use by employing a systematic approach to preventing infestation of insects or disease using cultural and mechanical means, biological controls, or chemical controls when required.
Although fertilizers, pesticides, and soil amendments are used on the Sun Peaks Resort Golf Course, a variety of techniques are used to minimize the impact on the eco-system.
- Soil tests are conducted to pinpoint fertility concerns and to identify fungal diseases, decreasing unnecessary use of pesticides and fertilizers.
- The application of all products follows label requirements, using modern and specialized equipment.
- Organic, amino acid, micronutrient, and synthetic applications are used to fertilize.
- When applying herbicides spot treatments are used.
- Grass clippings are mowed back into the turf to decrease the amount of topical nitrogen required.
- Soil amendments are used to improve the soil’s physical properties such as water retention, permeability, water infiltration, drainage, aeration, and structure. With increased root system health less fertilizer is required.
- Mechanical methods such as brushing, rolling, vertical cutting, and aeration are used to reduce weed and disease infestations and improve plant health.
Sustainable Marketing Collateral - recycle
Sun Peaks Resort brochures and trail maps are printed on paper made from 10 per cent post-consumer recycled content which is Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified. Printing on eco-friendly paper saves trees and energy and generates less solid waste and wastewater.
Many marketing materials are now digital with display screens used around the resort instead of printed signage.
Office TEAMS- recycle
- Sun Peaks Resort and Tourism Sun Peaks aim to recycle 100% of used office paper.
- All e-waste including computers, monitors, mobile phones, printers, and fax machines is recycled through the Encorp Pacific, Return-It program.
Operations Teams - Recycle
Sun Peaks recycles all aluminum, steel, tires, engine oil, antifreeze, varsol, contaminated fuel, oil and fuel filters, hydraulic fluid, and industrial containers. Employees also coordinate a resort wide bottle and can recycling program.
Grease and Waste Reduction - reduce
In an effort to reduce the amount of cooking oil grease we produce (a potential animal attractant), the Sunburst Bar + Eatery eliminated the use of deep fryers. At many establishments, one-time use plastics have been replaced with reusable or compostable dishes, cutlery, and takeout containers. The Annex uses tray sorting to reduce waste and capture recyclables.
Toilet Paper and Paper Towels
All toilet paper and paper towel used in Sun Peaks Resort LLP public and staff washrooms is made from 100% recycled material.
If you have any suggestions on how we can be better stewards of this mountain resort environment please contact us.