We have taken steps to minimize energy use within the resort.
Gravity Fed On-Mountain Snow Making System
The majority of our snowmaking system is gravity fed from on-mountain storage. This means that water is not pumped up the hill in order to make snow, which is a major energy savings. The only exception to this is our International Race Training Centre which requires supplemental snowmaking efforts.
BC Hydro Power Smart Incentive Program
- In 2005, Sun Peaks Resort entered into the BC Hydro Power Smart incentive program.
- In 2007 awarded the Outstanding Energy Efficiency Project by BC Hydro.
- This program involved saving electricity by changing all lighting installations to the new standard. To do this the retrofitting of all lighting fixtures, lighting controls, and unit heater controls were incorporated throughout all Sun Peaks Resort LLP and The Sun Peaks Grand Hotel buildings and facilities.
- By taking part in this BC Hydro program Sun Peaks Resort was able to save 1,000,000 Kilowatt hours.
- Sun Peaks Resort runs all of its lift on hydro powered electricity.
- Ski resorts in other areas outside of the North West tend to rely on nuclear and diesel generated power sources.
- By using hydroelectric power we are able to minimize the amount of carbon dioxide and airborne pollutants, this helps lessen the impacts of global warming and acid rain.
If you have any suggestions on how we can be better stewards of this mountain resort environment please contact us.